S.P.C. is excited to announce the comeback of the much beloved and anticipated program, Write Like You Mean It! We at S.P.C. know that two of the most challenging barriers facing playmakers are Time and Money. Time: to carve out enough to focus on my ideas between everything work and life! Money: “even if I had the time how am I going to support myself/pay the bills when I do?” With this in mind S.P.C. launched our first round of this unique program and now in 2020 we are ecstatic to announce the return of:
Write Like You Mean It 2021.
Three bursaries, each covering one artist for one week, are available to help writers/creators of all experience levels.
- Senior/Established Playwrights (I’ve had 1 or more plays produced at a PACT house/Regional Theatre or equivalent)
- Not Emerging/Not Yet Established Playmaker (I’ve self-produced/Fringe Toured/Showcased 1 or more plays so far)
- Emerging/Multi-Disciplinary Artist/Creator (I work in performing arts but am new to Playmaking).
All recipients will receive:
- Well…$800 for starters! It’s not a small fortune, but we wanted something comparable to a 40 hour work week at a living wage of $20/hr. Day Job/Night Job/Joe Job…all work has value!
- Further development/Support: At the end of your week, you are entitled to some of the resources S.P.C. has to offer.
- Consultation and Feedback with a Dramaturge
- A formal one-day workshop with professional actors/dramaturgy (to be held at an appropriate later date based on the evolution of the piece)
- A public reading/showcase at a future S.P.C. event
What we need from you if you are selected:
- Your full commitment to the project. You know…”like you mean it”! For that week (to be scheduled around your needs), we ask you to have no other jobs or projects on the go.
- Some sort of daily update which we can post to the official SPC Social Media accounts. This could be as simple as a snippet of dialogue, a diary entry, or a cleverly captured candid photo. We just want to share how it’s going!
- A post-project recap. We’d like to hear about the whole experience, after you’ve had some time to think and reflect. We’d hope to share it with fellow writers or creators on our website or through our newsletter.
How to Apply:
This isn’t a grant application, and there’s no portal. There…you can breathe a sigh of relief.
- A 1-2 page proposal for a project that in some way embraces the new S.P.C. Artistic Mission. That doesn’t mean you have to hit all the points, you just have to hit one!
- A short bio/paragraph about yourself. You can tell us which category you feel best suits you or we will do our best to find the right fit.
- A 1-5 page writing sample. This could be something related to the project you have in mind or be from a past work. We are not looking for a piece that is in completed draft form or has been workshopped by S.P.C. in the past.
Deadline: January 25, 2021 – submit via email to Admin@saskplaywrights.ca
Applications will be reviewed by the Creative Administrators (North & South) and the Dramaturgical Committee.
Recipients will be announced on February 12th, 2021
Your Work Week needs to be completed by July 2nd, 2021.