Persephone Theatre and the Saskatchewan Playwrights’ Centre invite submissions from playwrights for the 2018/19 Playwrights’ Unit.
This program is open to Saskatchewan playwrights at an ‘intermediate’ stage in their careers. (‘Intermediate’ is defined as playwrights who have had one to two professional productions, orseveral community and/or Fringe productions. However, if you feel your work is ‘intermediate’ due to other experience/ accomplishments, then please do submit an application.
- Led by dramaturges from SPC and Persephone Theatre, this group will meet approximately four times between fall 2018 and summer 2019.
- Additional one-on-one meetings will be arranged as needed for the playwrights to advance their work.
- Playwrights are responsible for their own travel expenses if travelling from outside of Saskatoon. Efforts will be made to assist with accommodation if needed.
- Each playwright will work on a specific project, which should be at a first-draft or outline stage when the term of the Unit begins.
- Each participant will receive complimentary tickets to Persephone’s Mainstage and DeepEnd seasonsas well as a complimentary membership to SPC.
- Unit participants’ work will be showcased in a public reading in late spring / early summer 2019; the exact format of this showcase will be determined by Persephone, SPC and the playwrights.
Persephone Theatre views this Playwrights’ Unit as an opportunity to form relationships with developing playwrights and support their growth. Participation in the Playwrights’ Unit does not guarantee a production at Persephone Theatre.
Please submit applications to Persephone or SPC bySeptember 17, 2018, including:
- Letter of interest – what do you hope to accomplish by participating in the Playwrights’ Unit?
- Your CV
- An excerpt (15 pages maximum) from the play you would like to work on
Email submissions to: email@example.com
PLEASE INCLUDE ‘PLAYWRIGHTS UNIT’ IN THE SUBJECT LINE
The Last Sunday is a monthly event run by Sum Theatre. Hosted on the last Sunday evening of every month September to May. Each month, a playwright is tasked with crafting an original 10-minute play responding to the current events of the month. A small group of actors bring it to life for the first time at The Last Sunday. A band or musician shares new music and songs that they feel are relevant to current events. A local personality offers a rant on an issue/issues of their choice, and a relevant local guest attends for a hot-seat interview about their connection to the news/events/issues of the day. All this is followed by food and discussion among those who’ve gathered to participate.
This year SPC will be commissioning the playwrights, contracting the actors, offering dramaturgical support and directing the readings.
Call for Actors
As mentioned, we are handling the plays for Last Sunday this year. Every month we will need actors. Because they are all new scripts written about events of a given month, we will not receive the scripts, nor will we know the breakdown, until a week before the event.
If you would like to be considered as an actor for Last Sunday, please email firstname.lastname@example.org list the months for which you think you will be available. Once I receive the scripts, I will consult the list of available actors and engage those actors that fit the needs of the particular script. Let me know if you have any questions.
The playwrights Circle will start up again on September 17thin room 727 of the Bessborough. This is a friendly, peer driven gathering where local playwrights read plays and give each other feedback. Why not take your latest script for a spin? If you have any questions, email email@example.com