CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
PLAYWRIGHTS’ UNIT 2017/18
SASKATCHEWAN PLAYWRIGHTS’ CENTRE and PERSEPHONE THEATRE
Saskatchewan Playwrights’ Centre and Persephone Theatre invite submissions for the 2017/18 Playwrights’ Unit.
This program is open to Saskatchewan playwrights at an ‘intermediate’ stage in their careers. In this context, ‘intermediate’ is defined as playwrights who have had one to two professional productions of their work, or several community and/or Fringe productions. That being said, if you feel your work is at an ‘intermediate’ stage due to other experience/ accomplishments, then please do submit an application.
- Led by dramaturges from SPC and Persephone Theatre, this group will meet approximately six times between fall 2017 and summer 2018.
- Additional one-on-one meetings will be arranged as needed for the playwrights to advance their work.
- Playwrights must attend all meetings. Playwrights are responsible for their own travel expenses if travelling from outside of Saskatoon. Efforts will be made to assist with accommodation if needed.
- Each playwright will work on a specific project, which may be either at a draft stage or just an ‘idea’ when the term of the Unit begins.
- Each participant will receive complimentary tickets to Persephone’s Mainstage and DeepEnd seasons as well as a complimentary membership to SPC.
- Excerpts from the Unit’s work will be read at the opening of The Spring Festival of New Plays in May.
- Participants will be able to sit in on workshops for SPC’s 2018 Spring Festival as guest auditors, with the permission of the playwright and dramaturge.
Please submit applications to Persephone or SPC by September 15, 2017, including:
- Letter of interest – what do you hope to accomplish by participating in the Playwrights’ Unit?
- Your CV
- An excerpt (15 pages maximum) from the play you would like to work on, OR a brief description of what you would like to write, and a sample of other writing
Send materials to:
PLEASE INCLUDE ‘PLAYWRIGHTS UNIT’ IN THE SUBJECT LINE
Or by snail-mail to
ATTN: Literary Manager
100 Spadina Crescent East
Persephone Theatre views this Playwrights’ Unit as an opportunity to form relationships with developing playwrights and support their growth. Participation in the Playwrights’ Unit does not guarantee a production at Persephone Theatre.