Persephone Theatre and the Saskatchewan Playwrights’ Centre invite submissions from playwrights for the 2018/19 Playwrights’ Unit.
This program is open to Saskatchewan playwrights at an ‘intermediate’ stage in their careers. (‘Intermediate’ is defined as playwrights who have had one to two professional productions, orseveral community and/or Fringe productions. However, if you feel your work is ‘intermediate’ due to other experience/ accomplishments, then please do submit an application.
- Led by dramaturges from SPC and Persephone Theatre, this group will meet approximately four times between fall 2018 and summer 2019.
- Additional one-on-one meetings will be arranged as needed for the playwrights to advance their work.
- Playwrights are responsible for their own travel expenses if travelling from outside of Saskatoon. Efforts will be made to assist with accommodation if needed.
- Each playwright will work on a specific project, which should be at a first-draft or outline stage when the term of the Unit begins.
- Each participant will receive complimentary tickets to Persephone’s Mainstage and DeepEnd seasonsas well as a complimentary membership to SPC.
- Unit participants’ work will be showcased in a public reading in late spring / early summer 2019; the exact format of this showcase will be determined by Persephone, SPC and the playwrights.
Persephone Theatre views this Playwrights’ Unit as an opportunity to form relationships with developing playwrights and support their growth. Participation in the Playwrights’ Unit does not guarantee a production at Persephone Theatre.
Please submit applications to Persephone or SPC bySeptember 17, 2018, including:
- Letter of interest – what do you hope to accomplish by participating in the Playwrights’ Unit?
- Your CV
- An excerpt (15 pages maximum) from the play you would like to work on
Email submissions to: email@example.com
PLEASE INCLUDE ‘PLAYWRIGHTS UNIT’ IN THE SUBJECT LINE